Every time I have a desire to buy something, my mom’s voice suddenly rings in my head: “Know the difference between wants and needs.”
She has warned me about my spending/saving habits, not that I’m a profligate daughter to begin with anyways. Compared to other girls my age, I am very frugal, not going on shopping sprees or random visits to eateries in LA, Corona, or Rowland Heights. I think my life edges on being an ascetic sometimes. But….but….when it comes to really, really cool gadgets, like OpenPeak’s Energy Management Solutions device, I am a sucker. 0_O
Here are some of its key features:
- Helps connects Public Utilities to the customer (us)
- User-friendly, on-demand event notification of energy usage and pricing
- Centralized user interface for thermostats and communication capabilities
- Allows for downloadable applications and content including news, sports, weather, popular social networks, and instant messaging all on the same device.
- Looks spiffy
- Made with durable materials
Can you tell why I’m going gaga over this now? Clearly, this is more of a thing that I want rather than need. Desires can be overpowering oftentimes, but I’ll weigh the pros and cons of this before I actually do make a financial investment.
*sigh* I just wish the solar cells I work with look this outwardly and functionally attractive. There’s still a long way to go in that sector. Perhaps once I’m a rich millionaire in the solar cell research field, I can start purchasing these gadgets at a whim.
Or not…it never hurts to dream.
Onto GRE studying for the millionth time.